Dilemmas with Poo and Dogs

A few weeks ago I went for a walk in some beautiful woods with Fifi in the baby sling and toddler boy sort of running free, with random rein usage to keep him in check. It was all going well, we stopped to look at leaves and insects and to decide which path to take. THEN, toddler boy stood still, went red in the face and strained. Oh S**t, quite literally and as I didn’t have any spare nappies with me, this thought had double resonance. So the dilemma came. I had a quick peak and it was quite a solid one, several thoughts ran through my mind;

Should I go home?

Should I let him wander about with it?

Should I use my last remaining tissue and scoop/ flick it out and hope it gets buried in the undergrowth? Lets face it- we’ve all had that thought in such dire times of need

What would Tommy Zoom do? (in the voice of the man who does the voice overs in the Cbeebies programme)

Shall I? Shan’t I? I wish I wasn’t so indecisive.

Then, in the distance a dog walker appeared. Oh S**t times twenty, this really isn’t the time for indecision. So I dithered, until the dog walker was about 40 metres or so from us. This was when her dogs decided to come bounding over to us. Now, I’m not keen on strange dogs at all. I don’t mind ones I know, or ones that belong to friends whom I trust. But strange ones, no way. Frozen with a mixture of fear and indecision, I looked at toddler boy trembling in his wellys.

This was not on, the dogs were bouncing around us, yaping, nearly as big as toddler boy. So, I did what all rabbits do when frozen in the headlights and stood incredibly still, poised to boot one of the dogs if they came within a metre of toddler boy. And, I stood still and still and still, for about 4 minutes. At which point I looked over at the horse faced witch dog owner. She spoke; ‘Don’t worry they are good with children.’ RAGE overcame me. I considered kicking the dogs, then realised it wasn’t their fault. I then considered kicking the owner, that would have required leaving toddler boy to the mercy of the dogs. I spoke ‘I’m actually very frightened of dogs and have been trying not to convey this to my toddler’. She looked at me with an evil stare, whistled the dogs and off they bounded. No apologies or explanation as to why it was such a good idea to let her dogs intimidate some strangers.

I still feel aggravated and annoyed by this encounter. Its not the first time that a similar thing has happened to me. Myself and a work colleague have an on going battle with another dog owner in Verulamium Park who insists on letting her Doberman run up and bounce up onto both of us. Despite, both of us telling her we are scared of dogs. It is a very frightening experience when a large strange dog jumps on you. I cannot understand the selfishness of it. I choose not to have a dog, why do I have to put up with other peoples dogs jumping all over me? Especially when I am genuinely frightened of them.

The thing that worries me is that these dog owners are usually at quite a distance from their dogs, how can they be so sure that the dog wont suddenly take a dislike to me, or one of the kids? It is, in my opinion extremely irresponsible, selfish and unthinking behaviour. And just in case I do ever encounter the dog owning witch of Sherrardswood I shall be hoping that toddler boy does another special poo, which I can accidentally flick her way. Rant over.

1. clareybabble 31st May 2009 / 8:52 pm

I totally agree with you. When I take my son to playgroup there are lots of dog walkers on the way who leave their dogs to run around jumping up at us while they're busy nattering or on their mobile. I too am a bit afraid of dogs. The owners look at me as if I'm insane when I ask them to move their dogs away from the buggy! I don't HATE dogs, just don't want them jumping up and

2. Rebel Mother 31st May 2009 / 9:40 pm

Fabulous post. I did laugh – because it all happened at once and wondering which one you where going to kick….hilarious!<br><br>So with you on the dog thing – cat person myself. I tolerate my friends dogs but I am just not made the doggy way!<br><br>RMx

3. Then There Were Three 31st May 2009 / 9:44 pm

I am a dog owner and always walk my dog off the lead. However, I agree with you TOTALLY, that behaviour is unacceptable. I would NEVER let my dog do such a thing. When we&#39;re somewhere like in the woods, and I let him further away then I normally would, as soon as I see anyone I call him back to me, and he will walk with me, until I give him permission to give more distance. <br><br>I would

4. Sandy Calico 1st June 2009 / 6:46 am

What a shame these people are so inconsiderate. Surely they must realise that not everyone will love their dogs as much as they do.<br><br>We were at a park last weekend when an out of control dog ran over and started on our picnic. We all grabbed our little ones as the dog looked like one that was banned or should be banned. The owner eventually sauntered over, grabbed the dog by the collar and

5. allgrownup 1st June 2009 / 12:36 pm

OMG, I&#39;m also terrified of dogs, and trying hard not to let me Boy see. I believe owns should either train their dogs, (like OMGIP) or have them on a lead. (and be strong enough to control that lead! If you can&#39;t handle Doberman, get a Lancashire heeler!) We had new neighbors move in last summer who had a huge dog,and the fence was not full height, it was more than capable of entering

6. Laura McIntyre 1st June 2009 / 1:46 pm

I also agree, dogs terrify me and i hate when there not on a leash. You never know when one will strike.

7. zooarchaeologist 1st June 2009 / 2:06 pm

Afew people have asked:<br>I left the poo in his pants till we got home, I was already traumatised without adding to the trauma!

8. Maternal Tales 1st June 2009 / 3:38 pm

Oh you poor thing – My eldest adores dogs and seems to attract them wherever she goes which is a tad annoying seeing as my youngest is more than petrified of them. We live by the beach and there are always random dogs running around. I think seeing a dog is enough to make Edie poo in her pants on the spot!! Think I would have flicked your son&#39;s poo at the dogs!! Yep, you&#39;ll know for

9. Jo 2nd June 2009 / 8:03 pm

I think that is extremely rude. Being the owner of two very bouncy, friendly dogs, I never allow them to go bounding up to people and should it happen I am very apologetic.<br><br>We quite often use our dogs to reassure those who are frightened of dogs as they are really well behaved and will sit quietly and let someone pat them. We do this so that people who are scared realise that there are

10. The wife of bold 9th June 2009 / 12:21 pm

I relly do hope you have another run in with her…just so you can tell us all you flicked the poo at her – hysterical. I am also not a doggy fan and i cannot tolerate dogs off their leads especially when young children are around – completely selfish. I also hate it when they do not clean up their mess which is becoming increasinly more common near where i live arrgh!