Road Safety

As luck would have it, on the day I publish possibly the worlds worst poem (TM), I have an unusually high number of hits on my blog. This was due to two factors, firstly hubby mentioned me on a computer games forum (!) and secondly I was given and award by Metropolitan Mum (hooray!).

As you may have gathered pre-school has not been going well for toddler boy. I think at two he is simply too young, although I’m not sure what would happen if I had to go to work and he HAD to go. Yesterday, traumatised by having to spend 2 hours there with him, fending off other kids who bombarded me with requests:

‘help me with this…’

‘you sit here..’

‘[toddler boy’s] crying again…’

‘I want to sit there’ points to Fifi in her pushchair

‘you colour…’

‘you help with [cue 200 different things]…’

I was standing outside discussing the situation with one of my friends when toddler boy made a break for it and literally ran straight into the road. Now, I realise that he is traumatised by all of this but I don’t think he has been driven to suicide. So it seems that my strict road safety warnings have not got through. I use reins most of the time but on this occasion I was feeling sorry for him. I thought I’d let him get away with it, particularly as he seemed permanently stuck to my leg anyway. In my shock, I ran straight into the road myself. Christ, we could have both been dead. His soft toy bunny ended up in hospital all day. This caused maximum upset to the boy which was what I intended to do.
The whole scenario got me and hubby thinking about how to tell a two year old about road safety and how to make sure it sticks. We have come to the conclusion that we really need to scare the living daylights out of him. But how? We tried showing him some horrific internet videos and stuff, but that didn’t seem to work so if anyone has any suggestions, I’d be very grateful.

In the meantime, a few months back, I got sent a lot of road safety information and I didn’t have the chance to put it up here as I was busy having Fifi, but I thought this might be a good post to highlight it. I hope you find it useful, we certainly have!

‘Tales of the Road’ website with a new game – you can give it a whirl here:

Other links that you may find helpful: – First TotR TV Ad on YouTube – info for parents – info for kids – info for teachers.

1. Womanatwork 8th May 2009 / 10:07 am

Don't be so hard on yourself…I loved your poem!

2. The Dotterel 8th May 2009 / 11:36 am

When I was seven or eight I used to read out 'Tufty' stories on the radio (I know, I know…) and – would you believe it? – the films are up and available on YouTube. They worked for me…

3. Mike1727 8th May 2009 / 11:49 am

I&#39;m not sure reins are such a good idea- take them off and the little darlings are unconstrained. <br><br>We just drilled our kids- in a car park, at a kerb, wherever- – stop and wait for mum/dad and always hold hands. <br><br>You get one scare and build on it- don&#39;t terrify them just scare them enough that they learn and won&#39;t do it again.

4. Alex 8th May 2009 / 2:17 pm

I think I literally scared him sh**less. He laughed at all the video clips we showed him and thought it was a game. So when he was in the bath (he&#39;s taken to going back into the baby bath now because his baby sister uses it), I told him how hard a car would hit him and I smacked the baby bath with my palm. I did this a few times until be began to get the idea and looked a bit distressed.<br><

5. cartside 8th May 2009 / 8:57 pm

I think to a certain extent, toddlers are and will remain unpredictable. A friend of mine has a 3 1/2 year old who is ever so good walking on the pavement, who would never run onto the road, who is an angel in general an not half as wild as my little one. Yet last weekend she ran right into the road – freak thing to happen, but these things happen. Of course you can try your best to drum it in,

6. Aussie Mum 11th May 2009 / 3:26 am

I don&#39;t think scaring the pants of him will help … it will just give him nightmares. Just remember that 2 year olds are just 2 years old and no matter how much we tell them roads are dangerous they are still likely to act on impulse. Just keep up the safety message and it will eventually sink in. In the mean time always hold hands when near roads, in carparks etc. <br><br>My main problem