The Waiting Game

As far as I can see, having children is all about waiting. So those of you not used to queuing and waiting for hours and hours for stuff better get in practice. That’s it, off to the Post Office on pension day, its the only way to get a bit of practice. You see, so far, my journey of parenthood has involved:

• Waiting for 9 months for birth
  • Waiting for three days in labour
  • Waiting for the baby to move
  • Waiting for sleep through the night
  • Waiting for the first smile
  • Waiting for the first word
  • Waiting at the doctors surgery, once for two and a half hours with a screaming poorly child- I think I blogged about this
  • Waiting to find the time to read a book, watch television in peace, do some sewing. I still spend a lot of time on this one
  • Waiting for the summer months so the kids can play in the garden
  • Waiting for lunch/ tea/ coffee at numerous cafes with other mums
  • Waiting for a bit of peace and quiet. I’m told this could be a long wait
  • Waiting until they reach 18.
  • And, now with one week until my annual summer holiday (a week in North Norfolk), waiting until they get chicken pox.

My advice to anyone considering a child, go on some sort of course to develop and enhance your skills of patience and resignation, and start living the slow life.

1. cartside 22nd June 2009 / 7:47 am

I couldn't have said that any better… I still remember how many plans I had for maternity leave. Haha…

2. Perfectly Happy Mum 22nd June 2009 / 8:26 am

This is so true, shall we stop waiting and start living the here and now?<br>Good one Px

3. Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy 22nd June 2009 / 8:36 am

Embracing the slower pace of life is what I prefer to call it. <br><br>Some days I find it so frustrating, but now I mainly appreciate the chance to look around.

4. Muddling Along Mummy 22nd June 2009 / 8:59 am

They say patience is a virtue but I&#39;ve very little – fingers crossed you avoid the pox and time flies past until your holiday<br><br>p.s. I&#39;ve tagged you over at mine !

5. Laura McIntyre 22nd June 2009 / 11:06 am

I have never been very good at waiting, and your right your always waiting for something when kids are involved.

6. Metropolitan Mum 22nd June 2009 / 7:35 pm

Waiting for my brain to come back 🙂 Will this ever happen???<br><br>Great post!

7. Maternal Tales 22nd June 2009 / 7:40 pm

Oh you&#39;re so right – and now I&#39;m just waiting to go to bed x

8. Rebel Mother 23rd June 2009 / 3:35 pm

Yeah, I&#39;m still waiting for a bit of time to myself! 23 years and still have another 8 to go until youngest hits 18. By then I&#39;ll be too old and I&#39;ll be waiting for my Zimmer frame!<br><br>Great post – made me laugh! RMx

9. clareybabble 25th June 2009 / 7:53 pm

I am impatient too!! I wait for something then when it&#39;s here I&#39;m eagerly waiting for the next thing. Vicious circle…

10. moonmamma 26th July 2009 / 6:27 pm

as my eldest fast approaches 18 I am still waiting, but what am I waiting for now? mostly waiting for her to get home at midnight from a night out!