Dear Supernanny

Following my day from hell, the toddler has steadfastly refused to walk. Nothing will encourage him, no bribe known to man will work. Even the attentions of his best toddler friends fail to get him to walk. I have taken him back to the A & E department and they can find no injury. They say they have seen it all before.

He has a six month old little sister, who receives virtually no attention apart from when she is being fed and her nappy is changed. He chooses what to wear, what he eats and what the family watches on the television. He fights over brushing his teeth every night. He has taken over the best seat on the sofa and demands constant attention. He is both the apple of my eye and the thorn in my side.

I am fed up of him, I want my life back and I want him to do as he is told.
Help.

1. Really Rachel 31st July 2009 / 2:33 pm

Poor you. I totally sympathise with your situation. I think you just have to be very, very patient. Keep being firm and consistent. Try not to give attention for 'bad' behaviour and praise good behaviour. There is some good advise in the comments section of my Toddler Tantrums post, when I cried 'help' a few days ago. FP is going through the Terrible Twos/new baby thing too.

2. Anjie 31st July 2009 / 3:12 pm

Brace your self you're not going to like this, they don't get better! They just change with age and find different ways to annoy (wait till they're teenagers you'll wish for those idilic days when they were sweet toddlers). You like me had a life before children and it's hard to be dictated to by a toddler, they don't even understand compromise. But the good days always

3. Harry 31st July 2009 / 4:45 pm

How can he choose what's on TV or who sits where? He's a lot smaller than you. 🙂

4. Amy 31st July 2009 / 5:32 pm

poor you, there is nothing worse than a stubbon toddler. My 21month old is going through a stubbon patch too shes been crying and putting up a fight every night going to bed for 4nights now. She demands my attention 24/7 and follows me whining and crying if I can&#39;t give her what she wants straight away.<br><br>The best advice I can give is that it is a phase, it will pass. <br><br>It is

5. Mark 31st July 2009 / 5:45 pm

Not great by the sound of things. When our boys played up I used to try and think of something – anything really, often quite amusing or zany – to break the pattern of bad behaviour. Something to give fresh start.<br><br>Hang tough.

6. Laura McIntyre 31st July 2009 / 6:53 pm

Toddlers are tough , you think its bad now – just wait till baby is older and you have the two of them thinking there in charge . Maybe thats not what you want to hear ..<br><br>No idea on the walking thing , different situation but my eldest was in hospital last summer and once she was better refused to walk for a few weeks . She had been in a coma so her legs were weak but she just would not

7. cartside 31st July 2009 / 8:04 pm

I&#39;m no supernanny, but feel for you after a day of toddler tantrums (one age 3, 2 aged 2, one aged 1), all of them small in comparison, but striking how the tiniest thing can set off hours of crying and whinging.<br><br>I tend to first acknowledge toddler&#39;s anger, then explain my position, ignore the tantrum and talk about something different, without much fuss.<br><br>It works for my

8. Then There Were Three 31st July 2009 / 10:00 pm

I know nothing about babies, but I know that if he&#39;s making you feel like that it must be hard. Be firm. Be consistent. Don&#39;t let him have his own way. Wishing you lots of luck with it xx

9. Rebel Mother 31st July 2009 / 11:50 pm

Terrible two&#39;s and a little man! Aah!<br><br>Be firm. You&#39;re the boss.<br><br>Poor Zoo, I&#39;ve been there and if I was paid a million quid I wouldnt go back!<br><br>It will pass, be strong – you CAN do it. RMxx

10. Aussie Mum 31st July 2009 / 11:59 pm

oh don&#39;t you just love little boys. Junior was quite good as a 2 year old but the bossy tantrum behaviour all started at 3 for us (probably more to do with having a baby brother than age). I&#39;m no supernanny either (having been known to have the odd tantrum myself) but just try and hang in there and also choose your battles.<br><br>To me, it doesn&#39;t really matter what Junior wears as

11. Muddling Along Mummy 1st August 2009 / 10:21 am

Repeat the Mummy mantra after me, &#39;this too shall pass&#39; and best wishes that it passes very soon