My Experiences of Surgery for Ovarian Cyst

As I write this, I am sitting in my little sick bed having survived the worst ever experience of my life. I have a terrible terrible phobia of hospitals, needles and frankly all things medical. I survived the birth of both my kids as a result of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, the thought of the fantastic thing I would get at the end and the fact that I really didn’t have much say in the matter.

This operation has been hanging over my head since the month after I found I was pregnant with Fifi. You see, at 8 weeks pregnant I rushed to the doctors after collapsing on the floor in absolute excruciating agony. The doctor thought I might be having an ectopic pregnancy and sent me for a scan. At this scan, they saw a little bean, but they also saw this cyst. Throughout the pregnancy it got bigger and bigger, which I think is partially caused by hormones. I suffered really bad acne rosace, bloating, tummy cramps and back ache. A lot of the symptoms are quite similar to IBS which I also have so I have literally just been getting on with it. In fact, if I hadn’t had a pregnancy scan, no-one would have known that I would have had it. Therein, a warning for anyone with similar symptoms!

I’ve been living with the positive thought that it might just go away, I might not need an operation. However, a fair few weeks ago I was told that it was full of blood, a hemorrhagic cyst. The cyst was bigger than 5 cm and could rupture, twist and move around causing an inevitable ambulance ride. With 2 kids to consider and the possibility of and A & E doctor being set loose on my bits I didn’t have a choice. I had to endure surgery. The method they used was a laproscopy. The thought of it was frightening. A camera through my belly button and incisions along the rough line where I would have had a C-section.

Friday came, I was a mess, tranquilisers helped and they shoved me into my own room. Mainly so I couldn’t see the old ladies in the Gynae ward undergoing medical procedures whilst I was waiting. One stroppy NHS anaesthetist who had no patience and was huffing and puffing, moaning about paperwork whilst she put me under (thanks God she wasn’t the last thing I saw on earth) and it was done. I remember coming to and then drifting off and coming to. Then at one point my consultant appeared and said she had signed my discharge paperwork as she knew how distressed I get in hospital. Then in a blur, I got dressed and literally stumbled in a daze to the car. OMG I felt ill. It hurts, the painkillers are helping. I was told that I can sleep on my side but its not all that comfortable, so I keep passing out on my back. But, all said, if you need have it done in the future, can I just reassure you and say that if I can manage it, you can.

At the moment, I just have to stop the kids jumping on my tummy, try to remove the bandages and make sure that I make the most of it, well at least a little bit. I mean, I’ve been needing a rest for at least 2 years. Its an extreme way to get one, but it seems to be working.

1. Womanatwork 19th July 2009 / 10:31 am

Thank goodness you've come through it and can tell the tale. Hope you manage to get some rest despite having the little ones running rings around your sick bed x.

2. Kelly 19th July 2009 / 10:57 am

Get well soon and enjoy the rest if you can. Sending you get better soon thoughts. At least it is done now, and it was thoughtful of the doctor to discharge you quickly. I hate hospitals and the last time I was in they took ages to discharge me and I was so fed up.

3. Sandy Calico 19th July 2009 / 10:57 am

So glad it went as well as it could and you are back home. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery 🙂

4. allgrownup 19th July 2009 / 12:14 pm

get well soon. Gosh the NHS can be a bit insensitive to fears can't they? Glad they discharged you asap though, that was very kind.

5. Anjie 19th July 2009 / 1:24 pm

Just to say glad your home and okay. I full understand your trepidation about going into hospital.

6. Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy 19th July 2009 / 3:00 pm

So pleased to hear that you are back, safe and sound. A bit of an extreme way to get a rest, but make sure you get one! Tea and cake required at regular intervals.

7. Coding Mamma (Tasha) 19th July 2009 / 5:59 pm

I'm glad it's over for you. I had a laproscopy for an ectopic pregnancy so know it's still far from pleasant. Well done on managing to get through it, despite your phobias. And have a good rest.

8. Hannah 19th July 2009 / 8:49 pm

Glad you're back home ok. Hope youre recovery is quick and your little ones are good to you.

9. Aussie Mum 20th July 2009 / 4:07 am

Glad you are back home safe and sound. I had 5 nights in hospital after my c section and even though it was a nice private hospital – it was still a hospital so I can understand your need to escape as soon as possible! Take care and rest up as much as you can.

10. The Dotterel 20th July 2009 / 9:08 am

Hmmm, timely reminder for me of how much I hate all things hospital (writing just half-an-hour before having to go to one…) Glad everything went well!

11. Vic 20th July 2009 / 10:01 am

Am glad you came out the other side ok. As you know, make the most of the rest. Perhaps push it a little further than you actually need. No-one has to know, right?

12. Kelly 20th July 2009 / 11:04 am

Award for you over at mine. If you have already received it this means you are twice as fabulous!

13. Smitten by Britain 20th July 2009 / 12:00 pm

I'm glad everything seems to be going well (as well as can be expected). I share your anxiety for medical procedures. Sometimes that is worse than the procedure itself. Here's hoping the children let you get your rest.

14. yummymummytips 20th July 2009 / 12:02 pm

Chin up hon. The one I had out last week was my second. the first they found when I had a section for the birth of ModelGirl. It was the size of a large orange and had grown as yours did due to the hormones in pregnancy. before she was born I was in agony – every time she moved over the cyst. <br>I had a general for the section and they took it out at the same time but also had to take the ovary

15. Natalie 20th July 2009 / 12:21 pm

Big hugs! Glad you&#39;re back home as the lack of anxiety will certainly help. Make sure you milk your recovery and catch up on your overdue rest. I had a laparoscopy about ten years ago…I remember that feeling so sending virtual hugsxx

16. zooarchaeologist 20th July 2009 / 12:26 pm

Aw! thanks everyone i cant tell you how touched I am by all your lovely comments x

17. Ladybird World Mother 20th July 2009 / 5:04 pm

Oh am very glad that you are on this side of the experience! Awful to dread something so much. Take care and enjoy the rest…

18. clareybabble 4th August 2009 / 9:06 pm

Just catching up with some reading…poor you having to go through that! I&#39;ll read on to see if you have recovered! x