The One Where I’m a Bit Maudlin

I know, I know, I’ve been making a big fuss and a song and dance about this operation I’m having tomorrow. Tis only an ovary and a cyst after all. Its ridiculous, in real life as an archaeologist I’ve broken numerous bones and had some hideous wounds and I’ve adopted the Monty Python approach “Tis only an arm”. I remember one time slicing my finger in half with a metal rule in the rain. The bleeding was so bad that there was literally blood everywhere and the rainwater was sort of washing it about more. The lads I work with were well impressed. The effect was dramatic. I did feel a little bit light-headed, but wasn’t about to say so. So what did I do? I got a plaster, gritted my teeth and carried on. Such is my hardiness, in fact, I’m so hard (mad) that I don’t even have any anaesthetic at the dentist for ANY procedure. I used gas and air and a tens machine for the birth of my babies, nothing else was coming near me. There you go, it is all mind over matter. This time, it’s the fact that I’m going into hospital for a little stay. I’ve sort of convinced myself that I’m going to be coming out in a box.

This state of mind has lead me to think about what would happen to the kids, if I wasn’t here. I think I’ve resolved that one. But have you ever thought about what you would like them to have of your possessions? I know it sounds silly, but its not something that I really have done, being, in the main, a healthy person. But then, I could get run over by a bus, anything could happen at any time. And does to quite happy, healthy sorts. What if the kids ended up with a piece of tat I have been trying to off-load for years?

With this in mind, I have been making a sort of mental audit of my possessions and made sure that hubby and one other person knows what I would like each child to have. Its funny when you start doing that, as it also puts into perspective a lot of the stuff that’s being hanging around the house for years. Why on earth keep it, if when you are gone, the whole lot is going in a skip anyway? I think I can now empathise with the elderly. The bin men are going to love us this week, my wheely bin is overflowing…

1. Kelly 16th July 2009 / 3:58 pm

Hope everything goes okay (I am sure that it will). I love having a declutter, clears the mind. We do hang on to a lot of rubbish a lot of the time!

2. little birds fly 16th July 2009 / 4:15 pm

best of luck with your operation…I know what you mean about getting kind of tweaked about your mortality when these things come up…just last month I had a minor day surgery and I kept thinking about the life insurance policy!

3. Womanatwork 16th July 2009 / 4:31 pm

Good luck with your operation, I'm sure you'll be fine. That said, I went through all same emotions you mention when I had my Gallbladder removed in May. I look forward to reading all about it when you're fully recovered.

4. Metropolitan Mum 16th July 2009 / 8:20 pm

I am sure you are gonna be fine, madwoman ;-)<br>I made a will as soon as little L was born. Completely understand feeling weepy. Have another slice of that gorgeous cake and the world will look a lot better!

5. The wife of bold 16th July 2009 / 9:45 pm

Best of luck for tomorrow and your so right about the whole de cluttering thing i&#39;m a little bit of a hoarder, but every now and then i get one on me and chuck everything out – it&#39;s like a fresh start!

6. Sandy Calico 16th July 2009 / 10:16 pm

Best of luck with the op.<br>No anaesthetic at the dentist? OMG, I leap out of the seat when they do the exam!<br>That&#39;s a great point you make about possessions. Perhaps I should order a skip now and save them the bother later on. Just keep a few precious things!

7. Really Rachel 17th July 2009 / 2:19 pm

Good luck! And I wish you a speedy recovery!

8. miss leslieanne 17th July 2009 / 5:50 pm

Lots of luck for tomorrow – not that you&#39;ll need any, I&#39;m sure :)<br><br>I know where you&#39;re coming from though – my biggest fear about giving birth wasn&#39;t the pain at all – it was the staying in hospital afterwards – couldn&#39;t get out fast enough!!<br><br>Try to think of it as a rest in a budget hotel 😉 xx

9. Veronica Lee 18th July 2009 / 4:34 am

Hi, I&#39;m visiting from MBC. Great blog.

10. Aussie Mum 18th July 2009 / 11:42 am

Good luck but I&#39;m sure everything will go fine with the Op. Also good luck with the declutter – I&#39;m always fighting a losing battle in our house – I live with too many horders.

11. smitten by britain 18th July 2009 / 7:53 pm

I don&#39;t blame you being concerned. I hate anything to do with the doctor. Best wishes for a quick recovery.