I’m a working mum of 2. I don’t have much time. Please tell my mother in law. You see for me, the markers of dirt and mess are as follows:
- The carpet is crunchy underfoot
- You can’t turn the hand towels around anymore to find a clean side
- There are no seats left on the sofa
- There’s no work surface clear to put down a cup of tea
- I have been struck on the head by an avalanche of paper/ toys/ beakers as they falls off the shelf
- The front door won’t open due to the sheer numbers of pizza/ Indian/ Chinese/ Thai takeaway menus and bin bags for un- reputable charities
- There is more food on the kitchen floor than on the dinner plates
Actually now I feel a bit ashamed, I’m not dirty, honestly. It’s simply a case of priorities, I prefer to play with my kids and do stuff rather than tidy up like a Stepford wife.
Anyhow, the mother in law has other ideas about my standards and simply feels it is her duty to come around and fiddle with my laundry, re-organise and clean. I know this sounds good on the face of it, but I can’t help but feel a little bit intruded upon. I still can’t look her straight in the eye after she ‘sorted out’ my comfortable knickers. The humiliation! I think that she feels that I am not a good enough wife, mother and domestic goddess. There are little comments and now we are in the phase of unspoken words. I can’t help but worry about all of it. But where exactly do we go from here? Anyone else have these sorts of issues?