Do you use Mumsnet?

Something has been puzzling me about all this electioneering aimed at the users of Mumsnet. Who are they? No really, I mean this. I get a lot of ridicule at work over my blog and get accused all the time of using Mumsnet, but I don’t. I think Ive used it once.

A straw poll amongst my peers who are frankly, the voting middle class mums that politicians are trying to win the votes of, reveals that none of them use it either. Are the Mumsnet team just brilliant at marketing? Or is my circle of friends unique in that they use other mediums such as blogs and twitter to chat to their friends, and the local Children’s Centre, NCT groups and the library to find out information. I’m sure Mumsnet is very good, I just wonder how representative of Mums it really is and I’m off to have a little look.

1. Hayley 22nd March 2010 / 8:48 am

I dont use it. Never have. Never will. I'm a netmums girl all the way 😀

2. Brit in Bosnia / Fraught Mummy 22nd March 2010 / 9:00 am

I&#39;ve never used it. I&#39;m totally put off by all the acronyms, I don&#39;t want to have to work out what DH DS DD etc all stand for. I&#39;m also a bit frightened of it, everytime I&#39;ve ever read anything about it, people are saying that there is some bullying that goes on on the site. <br /><br />I&#39;m not sure it is all that representive either. None of my friends use it much either.

3. Emily O 22nd March 2010 / 11:35 am

I used to use Mumsnet a lot, I started my blog on there 18 months ago. I don&#39;t go on it quite so much now because some forums are quite confrontational and aggressive. There are nicer forums too though, you just pick where you post. I don&#39;t think there&#39;s a typical Mumsnetter, and not all of them are middle class and Boden wearing. Mumsnet are masters at promoting themselves.

4. make do mum 22nd March 2010 / 3:28 pm

I used to browse Mumsnet and similar sites for information when I was pregnant but I found the forums were full of scaremongering and bad advice so I stopped looking! I sometimes use Netmums as it has local listings which are useful.

5. Muddling Along Mummy 22nd March 2010 / 3:28 pm

I tried Mumsnet and didn&#39;t like the clique-yness of it (and the fact that they tend to be a bit well bullying if you don&#39;t subscribe to their norms)<br /><br />I did used to spend a lot of time on another forum but have drifted away into blogging / twitter – I found it a big time consumer and didn&#39;t want to sink in any more of my me time on something that wasn&#39;t necessarily making

6. Metropolitan Mum 22nd March 2010 / 5:32 pm

Nope, not a Mumsnet person at all. Just like BiB, I was put off by all the acronyms and the harsh tone of voice in some forums.

7. Mark 22nd March 2010 / 7:05 pm

So why do you get ridicule about your blog?<br /><br />People are so shallow sometimes

8. zooarchaeologist 22nd March 2010 / 8:50 pm

Interesting that most people don&#39;t use it!<br /><br />Mark; I work mainly with men who sport beards and drink real ale. On the whole their ridicule is fair revenge for my jokes about stereo-types 🙂

9. Kat 23rd March 2010 / 10:19 am

Have tried it a few times but just don&#39;t like the message board style more than anything else. I found the community difficult to penetrate and got burned for having a link to my blog in my forum signature. Their newsletters are pretty good as they give a round up of weekly parenting news stories.

10. SEO Belle 22nd November 2010 / 3:12 pm

I started using mumsnet when I got pregnant for advice and to speak to others in the same situation unfortunately someone started getting bullied on a thread so I stuck up for them and they all started on me even reported me to the forum and I had my posts removed. <br /><br />After an angry discussion with the forum moderators I informed them I wouldn&#39;t be using mumsnet again as they are

11. Anonymous 11th December 2010 / 7:00 am

Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!