Nearly four years of sleep deprivation, if I count Toddler Boy’s pregnancy where he kept me awake kicking my bladder most of the night and I think I am succumbing to some of its effects. I already had some of the so called side effects such as slight madness, so I can’t count those. However, strange anxieties about my children seem to now plague my night-time hours. Here is a sample of this months silly, but actually fairly reasonable anxieties:
- That Fifi will climb into the washing machine and Toddler Boy will shut her in and turn it on.
- That either child will get their fingers trapped in the patio doors, or that their fingers will get chopped off by the patio doors.
- A child will strangle themselves with hubby’s tie
- A child will open the freezer and everything will melt and flood the kitchen and ruin the hall carpet
- That suddenly the weight of water in the bath will be too much for the floor and it will fall through
- Fifi will kick back against the table whilst in her highchair and smash into the fish tank causing it to break and flood, hurt her and kill the fish
- That I am trapped in a cycle of illness; taking child to doctors for illness, catching new bug, taking child to doctors….
- That someone will drive into my car whilst the children have unstrapped themselves (their current challenge)
I could continue, but now I’m a bit worried I have pointed out some things for you to worry about.