Irrational Anxiety

Nearly four years of sleep deprivation, if I count Toddler Boy’s pregnancy where he kept me awake kicking my bladder most of the night and I think I am succumbing to some of its effects. I already had some of the so called side effects such as slight madness, so I can’t count those. However, strange anxieties about my children seem to now plague my night-time hours. Here is a sample of this months silly, but actually fairly reasonable anxieties:

• That Fifi will climb into the washing machine and Toddler Boy will shut her in and turn it on.
  • That either child will get their fingers trapped in the patio doors, or that their fingers will get chopped off by the patio doors.
  • A child will strangle themselves with hubby’s tie
  • A child will open the freezer and everything will melt and flood the kitchen and ruin the hall carpet
  • That suddenly the weight of water in the bath will be too much for the floor and it will fall through
  • Fifi will kick back against the table whilst in her highchair and smash into the fish tank causing it to break and flood, hurt her and kill the fish
  • That I am trapped in a cycle of illness; taking child to doctors for illness, catching new bug, taking child to doctors….
  • That someone will drive into my car whilst the children have unstrapped themselves (their current challenge)

I could continue, but now I’m a bit worried I have pointed out some things for you to worry about.

1. april 16th April 2010 / 6:54 am

Hugs- not fun is it? :s

2. TheMadHouse 16th April 2010 / 7:20 am

Again something I know so well. I have fear about escalators in shops too

3. Muddling Along Mummy 16th April 2010 / 11:18 am

Its totally normal (and you&#39;re right exacerbated by a lack of sleep) – I&#39;ve recently found myself worrying over silly things, not least that Toddlergirl could somehow fall off her chair and through our patio door … not idea why its suddenly hit my consciousness<br /><br />I hope you get a good nights sleep soon and start to feel more balanced

4. Nova 16th April 2010 / 4:46 pm

Unfortunately it has a name….being a parent. It gets worse, you just have to make sure you don&#39;t let it overtake your life.<br />I worry a lot more now than I did when I was younger…sometimes I think it&#39;s because I am responsible for the children on my own.<br />Everytime toddler screams I can feel myself visibly pale worrying what he has done…he doesn&#39;t help, he is constantly

5. jo 16th April 2010 / 10:01 pm

Sleep deprivation can definitely make you feel a bit fragile can&#39;t it. I recognise a couple of those anxieties namely the kids somehow strangling themselves and i&#39;ve also had the one about the bath going through the ceiling. I recently passed my driving test so that&#39;s opened up a whole new world of worries. Hope you get some proper, good quality sleep soon.

6. Mark 16th April 2010 / 10:30 pm

I used to dream / worry that my boys would walkout of the house and into the sea. But after a while I just wanted the sleep… zzzz