Quick and Simple No Sugar Banana and Sultana Cake Recipe

Banana cake is a brilliant thing; it’s fruit and wholesome and healthy and lovely and you can feed it to a toddler in a fairly guilt free manner. Now, I first came across this recipe when I was a bit more virtuous than I am nowadays at The Yoga Hall in St Albans. Their version is here, it’s a lovely, healthy scrumptious feast of a thing. But hey, that is all that I am not, so of course it has been modified to the taste of the Being a Mummy Household.

• 4 bananas mashed, but not too much as lumpy bits of banana really add to the cake- honest!)
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • About 4 generous handfuls of sultana (much more juicy than raisins!)
  • 3/4 teaspoon of mixed spice
  • 75 g of butter
  • 115g of self-raising flour

Basically you mix the eggs and banana together, add the rest and mix it all up. Put it all into a greased and lined cake tin and stick it in the oven for about 40 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade.

This is a good recipe to get the kids involved with, who doesn’t like mashing a banana? It also tastes really lovely warm with a bit of clotted cream.

1. Hannah 15th June 2010 / 9:20 am

Mmmmm! That looks lovely! I have some bananas that need using up and was planning to do some baking this afternoon. I may have to give this a try 🙂 Thank you for it!

2. mummyfiles 15th June 2010 / 8:50 pm

Wow, looks delicious. I have a bunch of bananas we haven't been able to scoff yet so I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!

3. bethan 1st May 2012 / 3:56 pm

Have made this twice – it's blooming lovely. Thanks for the recipe!

4. Julie Riisnaes 13th May 2013 / 9:43 am

Just what I was looking for – I have a pile of bananas that need using and my diabetic Father in law is coming for dinner – thank you!!

5. this is lemonade 7th April 2015 / 2:14 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I was looking for something for baby’s first birthday cake that wouldn’t be full of colouring and sugar, but would also have some wholesome eggs and fruit in it. Love the look of these, I’m going to try adding some cream cheese “frosting” on top and see if it works – it looks delicious!

6. Judith Gibson 9th May 2015 / 5:58 pm

Made this cake and another cake with 6 ounces of sugar added, my husband much preferred this sugarless recipe. The flavour of the bananas really shines through, will be making many more in the future.

7. mary .p 20th August 2015 / 8:20 am

hi.. this was crazy good!! do you think it will work with apples as well?

• Claire Walsh 21st August 2015 / 3:23 pm

No idea at all, sorry. I would think its unlikely- let me know if it does!

• Julie MacTaggart 2nd April 2016 / 12:11 pm

I tried it with apples…it was fine!

8. Naomi 26th August 2015 / 1:41 pm

I made this yesterday. The cake had fat bubbling up around it and there was a lot of excess butter in the loaf tin once taken out. I will use a max of 50g butter in the next one. Otherwise yummy cake! Consistency of bread pudding. 🙂

• bells 24th November 2015 / 11:10 am

fat and eggs need to be creamed togevs before adding other ingredients else it will go weird with the vbutter blobbing everywhere eek! 🙂

9. louise 30th August 2015 / 11:14 am

might be a really silly question, but the butter in this i put a block of butter that i cut up and mixed and squashed to the side, i could but it did still have some lumps of butter in will it be OK, im guessing they will melt? or should i of beaten butter to smooth? used soft margarine? Thank you

• Claire Walsh 2nd September 2015 / 2:44 pm

Sorry, no idea I usually melt my butter for all cakes in the microwave before I cook them to make sure its consistent throughout the mixture (and i’m lazy). I have done it without melting the butter as well and it seems to work well as long as I mix it through well.

10. Hayley Davies 3rd September 2015 / 12:00 pm

Fantastic recipe great for all the family and nanny and granfer x

11. Julie MacTaggart 2nd April 2016 / 12:11 pm

A fabulous recipe…works equally well divided into 12 mini loaves!