Something I Feel Shocked About

Yesterday I experienced more of the joy of Britain’s NHS and ended up going from doctors to hospital (this time not in an ambulance) for a blood test which I have put off for a very long time as I knew I would be in for a long wait. For someone with needle phobia it’s not brilliant having to wait nearly two hours, but it was essential this time.

Anyway forty five minutes into the wait and I was feeling nervous. A dad turned up with his little girl. He obviously couldn’t be bothered with her. She was about four and itching to go to the loo, he was clearly happy for her to go alone. Not a problem really as you could see the door from where we were sitting and there was no-one in there. However, an elderly lady stepped in and literally took her. They were gone a long long time, far longer than would have been necessary. At least in my experience of toddlers and the loo. When they re-appeared she seemed to be ‘over mothering’ the toddler. We all turned a blind eye.
However, child protection trained prudish person me did think about it. In fact, to be honest from the minute the old lady stepped into the loo with the child, I was shocked to the core that her dad would allow it. I wondered what her mother would think. I still feel a little bit shocked about it now. Would you have said something? Is this acceptable in this day and age?

1. Mediocre Mum 26th August 2010 / 8:11 am

I don't think I'd go as far as letting strangers toilet my daughter. I'm sure it was innocent, but….

2. Mummy Matters 26th August 2010 / 8:25 am

I&#39;m with you I would be totally mortified and I&#39;m sure that the mother would too if she had known.<br /><br />Personally I am the kind of person who would have stuck my nose in – I think I&#39;d rather stick my in and get told where to go than have it on my conscious should I hear that something had happened to the little girl. I should think the woman was probably just trying to make a

3. Very Bored in Catalunya 26th August 2010 / 8:29 am

I would have probably thought the same, but I don&#39;t think it&#39;s a good thing. We are all so super suspicious nowadays that we are alarmed by people being friendly.<br /><br />The lady was very probably harmless, indeed not harmless but very kind. They were probably in there a long time because she was making sure the girl had got her clothes on straight and had washed and dried her hands

4. Crystal Jigsaw 26th August 2010 / 9:50 am

Sticky subject. I wouldn&#39;t have liked it myself and would have been feeling the same as you. But I imagine when the old lady was young this kind of thing would have been perfectly normal, even though we all know that peodophilia went on. Turning a blind eye is typical of our society which is why it&#39;s in a mess today. <br /><br />CJ xx

5. TheMadHouse 26th August 2010 / 9:58 am

I am not sure, both the boys like to go to the loo themselves when we are out, but that is due to the fact they want to go to the mens, not the ladies!! I let them go and wait outside.

6. JulieB 26th August 2010 / 4:32 pm

And this person was definitely nothing at all to do with them? No chance it might have been a grandmother/elderly aunt who had arrived separately unnoticed by you?<br />Does seem a bit odd I suppose.