Would You Let Your Child Watch?

I’m in another dilemma, Toddler Boy aged three and a half loves superheroes more than anything else. He loves films above food and probably above his sister. I let him watch the Marvel Spiderman and his Amazing Friends television series (you know, the one from when I was a child), Monster Versus Aliens, Bolt, all the Disney films etc etc. This is probably a bit wrong as some of them are a bit old for him, but he gets it, he really does. It’s an imaginary world which he can step into, enjoy and then step away from. Aside from trying to shoot Spiderwebs at people he doesn’t try to climb walls or fly or anything else. Obviously I don’t let him watch things with too much ‘real’ violence if I can help it, he watches Ben 10 but he doesn’t watch Power Rangers for example.

However, there is one film that he wants to see above all else; Spiderman, you know the one starring Kirsten Dunst and Toby Maguire. He has seen his dads DVD he begs me, he sobs, he really, really, really, really want to see this DVD. The husband has said no, I can’t even remember what happens in it. Its probably wrong and bad and everything else. I spend time wondering if I could just show him sort of edited highlights. This leads me to wonder about what else he should and shouldn’t be watching.

You see, I think that he really loves cinema and the movies. He will happily go and sit through screening after screening, he enjoys the experience of watching a film, he remembers the plots, re-enacts bits of them, talks to me about them. My father is a fairly prominent figure in the British Film Industry. I’m convinced its a genetic predisposition, a burgeoning talent. Am I stifling it through censorship of certain PG films?

The question arises though, when will he be old enough to watch? Do you think watching this stuff really does have a bad influence on kids or does it just increase their imaginary skills?

1. TheMadHouse 24th August 2010 / 8:10 am

Hmm, I think we tend to let the boys watch things that are too old for them sometimes. Mini adores star wars and we had to get the video machine out of the loft as we only had the on VHS! We tend to watch with them and skip any unsuitable bits. Neither boys have seen power rangers at home, but both know what they are (school talk).

2. Marylin 24th August 2010 / 6:03 pm

My oldest (now 5) first watched Spiderman when he was about your lil man&#39;s age, he adored it and it didn&#39;t scare him at all. <br />This summer he actually watched all of the Terminator movies. He was upset at the end of the second one, but other than that, he loved them! <br />He&#39;s also watched all the Star Wars movies and they don&#39;t phase him one little bit, so long as they&#39;

3. Coding Mamma (Tasha) 24th August 2010 / 7:10 pm

I think Spiderman should be fine, really. I&#39;d probably be concerned about Batman Begins, as it&#39;s very dark. But I think it&#39;s one to watch with him, so you can answer any questions then and there. <br /><br />Chris and Rosemary watch quite a lot of films and TV shows together (on DVD/video) and I think the watching together is quite important at their age.

4. Paul 24th August 2010 / 10:39 pm

While I&#39;m sure it won&#39;t do any harm to let him watch it, I can&#39;t help thinking it might be better to wait till he is a little older. You might be interested to read this old article about the film on the BBC -<br /><br />http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2042729.stm

5. Notes to self plus two 29th August 2010 / 9:56 pm

Its a tricky one but remember superhero are great things for children, super packed with the forces of good and evil messages x

6. Aussie Mum 30th August 2010 / 7:42 am

I&#39;m a very boring mum because I limit the amount of TV my little ones watch. Junior (who is 4) watches a movie while Rascal (20 months) has his lunchtime nap – and he will occasionally watch Play school or Cartoons after Kindy but that is about it. He would love to watch a lot more TV but it is a treat for him and he has such a vivid imagination that he takes a lot of stuff he sees on TV far