We are Haunted

God, Heaven and all that. Do you believe? I do, (I have two godchildren), but then sometimes I don’t, then I have to seek conversations with the curates from our local church. By its very nature, religion is very spiritual and a bit well, spooky I suppose. All sorts of odd thing happen, like babies jumping into Mary’s womb (there’s a Candlemass reference for you), the angels who came down and took Jesus up to Heaven and the Resurrection. All a bit odd. I am confused by religion generally, I like to believe in the idea of Heaven. But what about ghosts?

I am convinced I saw a ghost or two when I was a child. This is a whole blog post in itself and for another time. When Boy was very small, we went through a phase where he was absolutely convinced he saw a nasty man standing in our living room. I mean more than 30000000% sure, it was very difficult to dissuade him from it and it really put me on edge. It’s odd, because I like to think I am quite perceptive and sometimes I wonder what I have seen, or have a very uneasy feeling. I put this down to spending a lot of time working with human bones. I have, you see, seen some very disturbing things during the course of my career. I suspect that these things have had an impact on me mentally.

For instance, I once dug up a cemetery where, some of the bodies were, well, lets say this; a little bit preserved. I have probably dug up or had direct physical contact with more than 700 dead humans. I have seen bodies in all sorts of states of preservation, some embalmed some chopped up. The museum specimen of a sectioned human torso springs to mind. It’s interesting work, but mentally, if you mull it over a lot, it can begin to disturb you, just a little bit! I don’t think about it, that’s the best way.

Anyway, on Saturday I popped around to the shop. The hubby seemed a little bit odd and quiet on my return. I thought nothing of it, he has been struggling with a painful shoulder injury. We are all tired, it’s been stressful of late. This morning he told me he was sure he saw a lady walk across the living room. In the exact same spot, as the boy tells me he sees things. When we moved into the house we redecorated and found psalms written on the walls. Would you start to feel worried?

I don’t think there is anything malevolent and out of interest some time ago I looked into the history of our house and its land. Basically, our house was built in 1968 on land that had been farmland until that point. Previous to that there was a Pre-Roman Iron Age settlement, this has been excavated and our house sits straddling the boundary to the settlement ditch. Nothing major there, no burials or anything. This is unlike one house locally which I notice has been sold 4 times in the last 7 years. In fact, since we excavated the land and found a stone Roman coffin essentially in their front garden- which remains there.

It’s the mid-point of winter at the moment, a mysterious and magical time historically. I am told that children can be very perceptive, that they can attract things, cause energy even become the focal point of poltergeist activity especially when there are moments of stress in the house. This is all weird, but could supernatural things be happening in our house? Or do we all just need some sleep? I’m seriously wondering about getting our house blessed, is this madness?

1. Alex 30th January 2011 / 8:05 pm

I was sitting on the sofa of perpetual doom, looking out of the patio window when I saw someone in white in the reflection walking behind the sofa I was sitting on. I felt the sensation of being watched but when I turned round there was nobody there. <br /><br />Spooky.

2. Fiz 30th January 2011 / 8:12 pm

I would do it. Our house is 1651 (1st date in county register). The house is two knocked into one and it was once an inn – there was a hugging ghost in the hall that liked dark haired woman and hugged them (two of my friends had the same experience as well as me) a horrible cold spot on what was the landing and now is our bathroom and a ghost that I &quot;knew&quot; was a woman , kissing me and

3. Jo 30th January 2011 / 9:05 pm

Contact your local church and get them to come round and pray through the house. I&#39;ve done it before and know others who have. St Albans diocese will have an expert to support your local clergy if they are unsure. Everything will get driven out in the name of Jesus. All will be well.

4. Anonymous 31st January 2011 / 12:49 pm

I lived in a haunted house before – was a row of cottages near a monastry and things moved etc and other residents saw things. I didnt worry as the house always felt warm and welcoming.<br /><br />@kikicomp

5. Crystal Jigsaw 31st January 2011 / 1:02 pm

Do you feel particularly threatened by the atmosphere of your home, or are you just scared of the &quot;thought&quot; of having a presence? If the atmosphere is warm and comforting then it won&#39;t make much difference getting your house blessed, but if it&#39;s causing concern, sleepless nights, frightening images etc, then of course it&#39;s always a good idea to seek further clarification

6. TheMadHouse 31st January 2011 / 1:52 pm

I know I shouldnt laught, but I dont believe in ghosts at all. I am sure that you will find something to make it all better, perhaps moster spray (only joking)

7. Muddling Along Mummy 31st January 2011 / 2:12 pm

I reckon houses do at the least pick up the resonance of the people who have lived there but it sounds like a bit more<br /><br />Definitely give the church a call – I&#39;m fairly certain they still have people who can do this<br /><br />Failing that I can pick up some holy water from church and bring it around?

8. Garden Dad 31st January 2011 / 2:29 pm

Is this at all related to the drugs you were prescribed for your shoulder, daddacool?

9. Metropolitan Mum 31st January 2011 / 3:36 pm

I&#39;d love to say I don&#39;t believe in such hum-buck, but things like that do frighten me… Why don&#39;t you get someone from your church to come over, I mean, what harm could it be? xx

10. UnPacked Mummy 31st January 2011 / 6:27 pm

That is weird hon, but wouldn&#39;t discount it. Too many strange things have happened to me over the years to disregard odd events. Have written about my experiences so it&#39;s not just you it happens to. At least I know who I am being haunted by!

11. Cosmic 31st January 2011 / 9:22 pm

Historical York, Victorian houses spirits are everywhere!

12. urbanvox 1st February 2011 / 9:46 am

I&#39;ve always been able to see and feel things… The church is very quick to demonise all that… but sincerely… I believe there is more than reaches the eye…<br />Example… my Grandma died In november. I was driving on my way to meet up with me SO and all of a sudden I see her sitting on the back sit smiling at me… I was the only grandchild that hadn&#39;t spoken to her since she got