The other day I found myself without chocolate and needing something chocolately to eat. Since we had some dark cooking chocolate which is a bit bitter to eat, I thought I would make our family chocolate cake recipe. It’s the loveliest cake, you can make a very yummy filling for it which includes sherry, but I’m not going to give the recipe for that bit out, you’ll have to make your own filling!
- 6 oz Soft Butter
- 6 oz Caster Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 5 oz Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1 generous teaspoon of Vanilla extract
- 100 grams of dark chocolate
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a cake tin
- Mix together the butter and sugar until you have a soft fluffy mixture
- Add the eggs (beaten) and mix with the butter and sugar really well. You could use a mixer at this stage if you want. Try to get lots of air into the mixture
- Mix the cocoa with a little bit of hot water so it becomes a paste
- Add this to the ingredients in the bowl and mix
- Add the vanilla extract and flour
- melt the chocolate over a pan of boiling water or in the microwave. Add to the cake mixture
- Mix the whole lot really well and then spoon it into your cake tin
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for forty minutes. The cake is supposed to be moist, so make sure you don’t over cook it.
- Either decorate/ add buttercream filling as you wish.
Try not to let chocolately hands destroy your kitchen, but if they do, there is a pre-school activity in cleaning!