When researching this project I literally came across a hundred different styles. I suppose it was fairly common for people to make their own, using their own designs probably based upon what they already had. It seems you could go frilly, tabard, cross over, the world is your oyster quite literally.
In the end I decided to opt for something fairly simple, yet not a tabard. I did a bit of looking around and opted for something based upon the one worn by Angelina Jolie in the film The Changeling (I hope Universal don’t mind me using the image, it is their copyright and I will happily remove it should they desire). I realise that this film was actually set in 1928, but I figure that the style wouldn’t have changed much in two years, if at all.
This project took me about an hour and a half all in. I cut the pattern on some of the kids drawing paper which is essentially a roll of lining paper. First I sketched it out, thinking about the proportions but guessing them. Then I tried the paper pattern on and refined it.
It’s essentially one piece of fabric. The section which goes around the neck was done with two curved arched pieces, purely because I wanted to save fabric. The bits which tie around the waist were also two pieces of fabric, as were the pockets. I decided to interface the neckline purely as that made it a bit easier to get the bias binding to sit properly. If I had enough bias binding in my sewing store I would have finished the edges of the entire apron with it. As it stands I have just hemmed the edges.
I’m really pleased with it, I chose this fabric purely because I had it spare in my fabric collection. However, when researching 1930’s textiles it seems that floral was surprisingly ‘big’, so its not actually a bad choice. My only slight complaint is that it is a bit thin as its a summer weight dress fabric, I may line the apron in time.
Anyway, now it’s made I can use it for my day as a 1930’s housewife. I have a feeling making the apron was the easy bit…