The campaign for the use of nice cardboard in junk modeling starts here….

I have a house full to the brim with other peoples cardboard packaging cunningly recycled into spaceships, light sabres, piles of other peoples packaging stuck together. Heaven forbid, but it offends me. It’s not purely the mess it makes. No really it isn’t, well, maybe a little bit. What offends me is the products that are represented. I have Nescafe coffee’s, really sugary breakfast cereals and super expensive kitchen knives represented at the moment.

I do find it hard to look beyond the packaging to see the object lovingly crafted by my child. I am also convinced that they are being brainwashed into making the largest possible constructions. So as to fill up my wheely bin (did I say that?), rather than anyone elses. But what does one do? Refuse to bring the child’s creation home and place it on the mantelpiece? Lose it on the way home? I am not that sort of mummy. No, I gratefully accept my creation and look amazed and in awe at the creativity, whilst secretly wanting to punch the teacher.

The problem comes in trying to dispose of the creations, the wheely bin really is full. It’s hard trying to ram them into it without the risk of them being visible at the top. A bonfire isn’t all that eco- friendly. It’s hard to re-use them again without upset. It’s hard to dispose of them without upset. I lie awake at night wondering whether I might be found one day crushed amongst a sea of cardboard boxes cunningly fashioned to represent robots and spacemen and spaceships and aliens. I wish there was some sort of campaign only to use the boxes of ethical products packaged in trendy, classic designs. I wish they had a corner at school to display them and then the designs were donated to an old peoples home or something.*evil cackle*

The campaign for the use of nice cardboard in junk modeling starts here….

1. TheMadHouse 21st March 2011 / 9:41 am

I just take a picture of them and then let them have that in the their room and we recycle their creations. But Maxi's homework this week is to build a castle!

2. Aussie Mum 21st March 2011 / 11:13 am

Junior was also obsessed with box construction at Kindy last year. Every week he would bring home a mountain and make others at home as well. We have the same problem with lego constructions at home which he always wants to keep on the piano or some other prominent place in the lounge. <br /><br />To control the sheer volume, I designate a certain space and once it is full he has to decide what

3. Muddling Along 21st March 2011 / 12:23 pm

I&#39;m a bad mother because I regularly chuck out the art works (into the compost bin or used to start the fire…) but in my defence Bigger paints / draws things every single day and they aren&#39;t actually terribly good…<br /><br />Can&#39;t you forget to collect them from school?

4. Cosmic 21st March 2011 / 2:38 pm

I&#39;m with ya so you can count me in!

5. Mirka 21st March 2011 / 8:51 pm

I have to say, that Isabelle is quite creative, and almost every day she comes back from pre-school with some kind of art work. So far I have kept most of it, not all of it, but not card board boxes…would need a bigger house for that 🙂

6. Alex 21st March 2011 / 9:09 pm

Death to cardboard!!!

7. Garden Mum 21st March 2011 / 9:39 pm

When you have a big mountain of them find a baseball bat or similar and bash them flat. They might still not fit in your green bin but you will find it therapeutic and Boy might enjoy it too – as long as you have snapped some pics first! Tell him they will then be made into more cardboard boxes so he can make more models.