Party Preparations

It’s the boys fourth birthday this weekend. I can’t believe how quickly the time has gone! We have succumbed to demands and arranged a party. The only problem is that I stupidly decided that two and a half hours would be an appropriate length. Now the fear has set in, what exactly and I supposed to do with an army of toddlers for two and a half hours. Ideas so far:

• Pass the Parcel
  • Disco
  • Musical statues
  • Treasure hunt
  • A game involving the parachute and some balls
  • A long drawn out food session

Please give me some suggestions, I’ll give you a shout out on the day!

1. Aussie Mum 5th April 2011 / 9:06 am

Don&#39;t worry the time will fly. This is how ours usually go.<br /><br />Let them all have a chance to have a bit of a free play and settle in (preferably outside). Give them a bit of food. Play a few games but not too many and don&#39;t make them too complicated although a treasure hunt is always great fun. Sing happy birthday, blow out the candles give them all some cake (preferably with lots

2. Crystal Jigsaw 5th April 2011 / 12:52 pm

Definitely free play, like Aussie Mum says. That&#39;s more or less all they want. A chance to charge round and be noisy without anyone hushing them and saying &quot;enough&quot;. That 2 and a half hours will go quickly, I&#39;m sure.<br /><br />Have a wonderful time – and enjoy yourself, too!<br /><br />CJ xx

3. helloitsgemma 5th April 2011 / 2:46 pm

as a child I used to love &#39;dead donkeys&#39;. You lie like a dead donkey – move and your out. As a parent this appeals to me

4. missielizzie 5th April 2011 / 4:37 pm

I wrote blog about DD&#39;s 3rd b&#39;day party. None of the kids even knew how to play pass the parcel so we abandoned games &amp; just let &#39;em run about with balloons to music. We did a chocolate &#39;bug hunt&#39; outside which was good

5. Isil Simsek 5th April 2011 / 5:28 pm

My daughter turned 4 in January. I bought party bubble mats which were a great hit. We did the pass the parcel and we did a craft activity. My close friends have daughters of the same age, and D. chose 3 girls from preschool. So there were no boys and I honestly don&#39;t know how interested boys are about such things. The girls at our party loved it.<br />

6. Spencer Park 5th April 2011 / 6:15 pm

From my experience, and this may just be my kids, my daughter has always wanted organised games (as have her friends), whilst my son and his friends just want to run around and don&#39;t have the attention span to play games.<br /><br />Let them go wild (and worry about the tidying up afterwards!).

7. supergran 6th April 2011 / 7:25 am

it was my grandson&#39;s 5th birthday party last weekend, and it was pretty much organised chaos.<br />let them run around and do within reason what they wanted. <br />Nothing much too structured or organised, but enough thrown in that they all enjoyed themselves with no tears.<br />The balloons to kick about are a great idea, and if outside space is safely available then make the most of it.<br

8. Mark 6th April 2011 / 7:47 am

Sounds fine to me – just nothing involving water or play dough.

9. Mrs C 6th April 2011 / 7:48 pm

Bear in mind that the last 4th birthday party I went to was my own(!) but I seem to recall things like pin the tail on the donkey and some game that involved passing balloons around.

10. Elle and Belle 7th April 2011 / 1:42 pm

You have loads of ideas, it&#39;ll be fine. Keep them outside for free play as long as you can; the parachute thing will be good outdoors too. How many mums will be staying? Adults take up so much space and you end up feeling like you have to entertain them; it&#39;s best, and much more relaxing, to just have one or two &#39;useful&#39; mums to stay. Oh and definately insist the boy opens