Those of you who know me fairly well will know that this has not been one of my better weeks unfortunately. You will also know that cooking is not one of my strongest points. I do try, but I nearly always seem to burn it. This week I was really grateful to receive a family sized slow cooker and we have used it three nights running with great success.
However, today I came back and turned the cooker on to cook my home made steamed syrup pudding for desert. Feeling rather proud I had managed to cook a ‘proper’ comfort meal for my family I didn’t give it one more thought. That was until I smelt smoke and went back into the kitchen to find the slow cooker on fire!!!!
I was organised honestly, I put the slow cooker to the back of my cooker and absolutely no where near anything that would set it on fire. I just didn’t factor in two year old Fifi interfering with the cooker. The explosion was epic, a real firework, the fire was quite big. I surprised myself by not even stopping to think, literally soaking a tea towel and chucking it onto the flames….
We no longer have a slow cooker. I’m not sure if we have a cooker hob yet, it’s a bit hot to tell….
Whilst having a bath to clean the soot off myself the steamed pudding boiled dry, creating more plumes of smoke and ruining a stainless steel saucepan and a nearly exploding a Pyrex bowl. I’m not sure if I am cut out for domesticity…