Why I REALLY dont want a C-Section

The news that women will be allowed to opt for a C-Section is to me, frankly disturbing. Yes, I have a fear of needles and hospitals and all that entails, so that probably doesn’t help. However, I cant help but think that the absolute best outcome if at all possible is to be born naturally and for a mother to allow her body to behave as nature intended. It’s not that I am some kind of earth mother, however I cant help but think that it must be better for a child to follow the route they were destined to go along rather than be hoicked out under the glare of bright light bulbs. Unless it is unavoidable.

I am not in anyway undermining those women who have had C-Sections. I commend them as brave, strong individuals. However, I just cannot understand why you would want to go through that by choice rather than medical necessity.

When I had my two children, I found that the experience was varied. With boy there was a degree of medical intervention which left me traumatised to this day. With Fifi the birth was directed by one experienced midwife who was kind, patient and knew how to deal with childbirth. I walked out of the hospital on the same day with my daughter and didn’t look back.

That’s the thing, if you give birth naturally, you may bear some mental scars but you wont have the physical ones which leave you unable to do many of the daily tasks which you take for granted. Friends of mine who had C-Sections were stuck at home for weeks afterwards, unable to even push the pram. Is it worth it for a day of your life?

Now, I’m not going to be mercenary about this, if I need an emergency C-Section then so be it. However, it is not something that I want. I want to be able to drive my car, push the pram and after all, I have 2 other children who need looking after. I cant flop about on the sofa, I don’t have anyone to look after me all day long. I cant even bear to look at the scar from when I had a mole removed.

Why would you opt for an operation unless it was a medical necessity? Seems rather bizarre to me. It also seems odd that in this day and age where I get four midwife appointments throughout my entire pregnancy due to staffing levels and cutbacks, that the money can be found from somewhere to enable people to actually choose this operation. An operation that might not be necessary. Sod the lack of funding for altzheimers drugs, the lack of incubators in Special Care Baby Units and so on. I imagine that most people wont even be considering the impact that their costly operation might have on others needing NHS care. But it’s all about principals isn’t it.

At the end of the day the most important thing is that mother and baby are safe. I know of at least one person that died following a C-Section. It is not the easy way out. I hope this will be drilled into mothers as they are offered the option and that many keep their options open, leaving the decision to the medical experts rather than the whim of what their favourite celebrity has just done.

1. Kat - Housewife Confidential 31st October 2011 / 10:26 am

Really? In what world would it become normal for optional c-sections? Is this part of the new private NHS nonsense?<br /><br />Having had three (medically necessary) c-sections I can report that I could push a pram within two days and drive a car within three weeks – it really wasn&#39;t limiting at all to me. I would also advise people to only have a c-section if the doctors are advising it. I

2. Jude 31st October 2011 / 12:22 pm

I&#39;m with you – being very squeamish, I was petrified of having to have either a C-section or even an epidural. Fortunately I didn&#39;t need either. If there&#39;s a medical reason for a C-section, it obviously makes sense to have one, but I read somewhere once, that if babies came to be born all the time by C-section, larger babies who could not be born any other way would be the eventual

3. Elaine 31st October 2011 / 1:28 pm

I&#39;m with you – I had a c-section with my first (I had pre-eclampsia and didn&#39;t go into labour) and although recovered pretty quickly it wasn&#39;t really an experience I wanted to repeat… <br /><br />I had #2 and #3 as VBACs and the not driving / easily being able to care for the others was my primary motivation. That said – my biggest fear was any attempt at induction and made it clear

4. Juicytots 31st October 2011 / 1:46 pm

My experience of one vaginal birth and two c-sections (medically advised after my first birth) was actually that I was actually far more mobile after the c-sections. I stayed two nights in hospital (as opposed to five after my first natural birth) and like Kat was up and about and driving after 3 weeks. C-sections are much safer now than they once were.<br /><br />However, I feel that if I&#39;

5. Call Me Mummy Tola 31st October 2011 / 4:50 pm

I have to agree with you with regards to this, plus you&#39;ve given some very valid points too!<br /><br />I pride myself on being a 26 year old lady who has never had a surgery in her life and don&#39;t pray to have one anytime soon C-section inclusive! If I have to have one with my current first pregnancy in a few weeks (I seriously pray not!), so be it, but it will definitely NOT be my choice

6. Anonymous 2nd November 2011 / 9:38 pm

I totally agree. I had an emergency c section after being induced and suffering hyperstimulation of the uterus, nearly 6 months ago and I can&#39;t explain the desire to have a natural birth. I feel completely robbed of a right of passage. I don&#39;t care about he pain, the desire is so strong. If I can&#39;t have a vbac, I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll ever get over it. Yes, in this day and age we

7. Troubles' Mum 3rd November 2011 / 10:55 am

I had an emergency C-section first time round, which was very straight forward. The after pains were like nothing I&#39;ve ever experienced. I was in absolute hell for two days afterwards. <br />I went on to have a VBAC with assistance which was a bit traumatic but the recovery was a little better, minus the after pains. Then had an elective c-section for twins as I&#39;d had a previous. I was

8. Michelloui | The American Resident 5th November 2011 / 4:16 pm

I had a normal vaginal delivery but during one point the consultant was called because the midwife thought she could feel a cord and there were murmurings of an emergency section–I was sick with fear. I never, ever wanted a section. All was actually fine and my daughter was born normally. Phew!<br /><br />Having said that, a friend of mine who is an ODP (Operating Department Practitioner), has

9. Anonymous 26th March 2012 / 7:42 am

I have had an induction followed by ventouse &amp; a emergency section. I said I would never deliberately put myself thorugh something like a section as it was horrendous. But now I am pregnant again I cannot face the possibility of hyperstimulation again (I suuferd from spontaneous naturally occuring hyperstimulation) and the fear of the doctors rushing to save my baby again. <br /><br />Now