Would you send him for the snip? And related issues

Reading today in the paper about the fact you can get hold of the morning after pill over the phone I found myself slightly confused and for once, unable to form an opinion easily. You see, a few years ago I would have said this was terrible, why aren’t young people practising safe sex and so forth. However, a few years ago I was really struggling to have a baby. It didn’t seem so easy to have one. I couldn’t ever imagine taking a pill to sort things out. Now, as a mum of a girl, I would urge my daughter to take this if she felt she might need to, and to be honest, I think that perhaps this campaign is actually a good idea. It saves the trauma of potential abortion or the life changing results of having a baby.

Let me spell out my situation now, I’m having a third baby, a baby I didn’t even realise I was pregnant with for a couple of months. I have no idea when this baby was conceived, whether we were drunk or what. To be perfectly honest, it just happened. Don’t get me wrong, I cant wait to have this baby. It is already loved and wanted. It will bring joy to our lives and was certainly meant to be. But it did cross my mind whether we were doing the right thing. I agonised for ages about what we should do before making, what was in my opinion, the only option for us.

That’s the thing isn’t it? Stuff does just happen. Life happens, yes, you can get carried away, but sometimes you don’t think long term. ‘Live for the moment’ is one of my friends favourite sayings, it’s good advice and has served her well. It is something I find very hard to do, but something I am working on.

This brings me to the inevitable post birth midwife chat where we will be quizzed about our contraceptive choices. I’m not keen on drugs at all, I haven’t taken the pill ever and I wouldn’t want to take the morning after pill if I could help it. I don’t think we could manage any more children, financially or emotionally, but we are yet to have this conversation. So that places the emphasis on the husband really doesn’t it. He probably wont appreciate opinions, but part of me thinks that he has no other option than a little snip…

1. liveotherwise 6th December 2011 / 1:22 pm

My mother made my father have the snip, then left him. Always seemed a little unfair somehow.

2. Troubles' Mum 6th December 2011 / 1:28 pm

For us, more children is not about finances or space (luckily), it's about my body not being able to take anymore after 4 kids, 3 pregnancies and 2 c-sections. I have taken the pill since my teens. My body is shot. Would I send my husband to get the snip? I suggested it and he happily got it done. We thought about it a lot and its the right decision for us. But its his choice to make. Same as

3. PantsWithNames 6th December 2011 / 1:29 pm

We keep having this conversation too.<br /><br />There&#39;s always the coil which might be an alternative? That&#39;s what the midwives suggested for me. Haven&#39;t actually got round to it yet though…

4. Alex 6th December 2011 / 1:33 pm

I think I&#39;d like to have the snip. That means I&#39;d definitely get some going forwards right?? Right?

5. Muddling Along 6th December 2011 / 3:17 pm

We&#39;ve had a chat around this – tends to get quite heated for some reason… am more than a little sick of being the sole person interested in contraception in our family

6. Anonymous 6th December 2011 / 4:12 pm

My husband had the snip earlier this year. We have 3 kids. I felt it had to be his decision as it was his fertility. If he hadn&#39;t made the choice to have it done i think I&#39;d have tried the coil. I saw it as him &quot;taking one for the team&quot; as I&#39;d had 3 pregnancies and 2 c-sections so felt I&#39;d been messed about with enough!

7. Wendy Tomlinson 6th December 2011 / 4:44 pm

I think with most issues like this there are mixed feelings. I feel there will always be those who abuse the idea but I also feel it&#39;s a great idea in certain situations. I remember saying to my teenage stepson that I would rather go out and buy him condoms if he thought he needed them than him either come home with a disease or a pregnant girlfriend. My friends were horrified but I have a