A Fourth Child? Madness?

Yes, probably madness but now I’m a stay at home mummy I feel a little bit adrift. Its not like I have nothing at all to do, I’m rushed off my feet and rarely stop to relax (apart from about 10 minutes at 10:30 pm). I realise that technically I could still consider myself on maternity leave for a good few months yet, but I feel like I need a project. To this end I’m devising lots of things to keep me busy and have a few blogging ideas on the back burner. Most of my ideas genuinely rely on the purchase of a Mac though, which makes them quite difficult. why? Well, I need some very specific software. Anyway, in reality, I’d like a proper job but one that would fit in and around children. If anyone has one do let me know!

That brings me to my latest bit of insanity. If I am not to be a career woman, then perhaps I should focus on being an uber-mother and that means to me that perhaps, since I have nothing else to stop me, I should have another baby. I have made a mental list of pros and cons about this. The cons far outweigh the pros. For example; the cost, the sheer amount of space that 3 children will take up already as they grow, the effect on my heath both now and in the future. The Pros; well, another baby, another little person, nearly a football team.

I am trying to be sensible, I’ve given away loads of my maternity clothes and i’m slowing giving away Fifi’s clothes. I ‘m hoping that if I get rid of a lot of the baby stuff I wont feel like its there to be used. Its probably hormonal, I felt like I wanted another baby after the both of both Fifi and Boy. Its also very unlike me, I never wanted a big family, I don’t feel like a maternal sort of person. I think maybe I need to get a bit of adult life, I live in a child centred bubble, perhaps I’ve been brainwashed. Before you say it, I don’t want a dog, I don’t like them much and I don’t think the husband wants a cat. I cant be bothered to clean out a rabbit or a hamster and last time I had stick insects they escaped and I found them climbing the walls of my bedroom.

1. MummyWhisperer 21st February 2012 / 8:11 am

When you manage to talk some sense into yourself, please do so with me – my poor 42yr old body is panicking about me wanting a 3rd.<br /><br />BTW – getting rid of the stuff doesn&#39;t help!

2. Mrs C 21st February 2012 / 8:36 am

Four? Four??? Four!!!<br /><br />The idea of more than one still petrifies me at the moment!

3. cartside 21st February 2012 / 8:53 am

I second MummyWhisperer&#39;s comment… I&#39;m &quot;only&quot; 41 though. no no no, that&#39;s not a justification for even more 3rd baby thoughts. Go away gremlins.

4. Laura 21st February 2012 / 10:02 am

This may not help much, but… Four is WAY easier than three. Three is the hardest number to deal with.<br />Four is not much more work for you than three, but there is never an odd one out. Children naturally pair up, and three is always awkward – having a fourth made that just disappear for us. Even if there is 8 years between top and bottom, they still spend time together when the middle two

5. Laura 21st February 2012 / 10:32 am

PS – I never ever felt like I was &#39;done&#39;, even though we agreed three was more than enough, and there were to be No More Babies.<br />Halfway through (huge surprise) baby no.4&#39;s pregnancy, husband had the snip – I already felt, deep down inside, we were done now. I just knew.<br />Not to say I don&#39;t still get wistful longings for another pregnancy, but never that aching yearning

6. Aussie Mum 21st February 2012 / 1:12 pm

Yes – it is just the hormones! Believe me when cute and cuddly little Ned gets mobile you will not be wanting a fourth! My little Puggle is like a tornado causing havoc and destruction wherever he goes – I don&#39;t think I will ever have a moment to blog again (well not until he is at least 5 anyway!

7. pramsonline 21st February 2012 / 1:42 pm

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8. Jen Walshaw 21st February 2012 / 2:39 pm

I would have just gone on having baby after baby if is was possible. I love my children so much!

9. fun-as-a-gran 22nd February 2012 / 7:26 am

whats wrong with 4? much much easier than 1, and lots more fun than 2, and a more even number than 3 ( coming from one who has 5)

10. Alex Walsh 22nd February 2012 / 9:22 am

Listening to Aussie Mum, she sounds like the voice of reason in tumult of insanity 🙂

11. solveig 5th March 2012 / 7:31 pm

I have three and am definitely not having any more, but I have been very surprised to find that I feel less &#39;done&#39; than I thought I would. Now I have three, I get moments of, &#39;well, what&#39;s one more&#39;…! But, no, I am done!