The Mess

I’ve literally reached the limits of my endurance, the absolute limit of my ability to live happily in my house. I am quite literally going mad. The problem you see, is one which I have been talking about for months. Its THE MESS. Granted, with three children you are going to see a bit of mess, however this is far too much to deal with.

There is not a single surface which is uncluttered, including, even on top of my wardrobe. I cannot find peace anywhere. Everywhere I sit I look around and see piles of clutter. Clutter which I spend my days clearing and tidying. Ever waking minute has become a bit of a nightmare as I spend the whole time when not changing nappies, feeding the baby, entertaining children wandering about tidying up mess. I open a cupboard and the whole lot falls out on me. I tread on Lego, Playmobil and assorted other toys. I lay in bed and my eye flits from pile of clothes, to piles of books. I cant watch television anymore, all I do is look at the shelves where there are piles of DVD’s bits of toys, paperwork and so on. Its not for want of tidying it up, as soon as I tidy a space it becomes cluttered. Almost like its growing.

People have suggested the Fly Lady approach. One room at a time. I have tried this, as soon as I clear a room it becomes cluttered again. I have tried throwing stuff away, then the bin gets full and do you know how difficult it is to go to the council tip with three children? Can I just say that its a dangerous nightmare, especially when the workers there insist on going through all your rubbish to make sure you are putting it in the correct bins.

I cant begin to tell you how disturbed and unsettled I feel about it all. I have not been able to relax in my own home for more than a year now. I feel as if I am going totally mad, I even dream about having a tidy house. I find myself considering leaving, just walking out and leaving them all to it. I really cant cope with it. When I discussed this with the Midwife who visited she sympathised and suggested trying to clear just one shelf, just one place which I could focus on. I tried to do this, but its a constant battle to try to keep it clear.

It really is a stupid problem, I feel pathetic discussing it but I am overwhelmed. I really don’t know what to do.

1. Anonymous 13th February 2012 / 10:03 am

Oh how I sympathise with you on this one. There&#39;s only three of us in my home and it&#39;s always messy. Clothes everywhere.. sea of clothes.. story books.. unopened letters… <br />Maybe get storage boxes? Give stuff away to charity or flog them on e bay? It&#39;s so hard………..

2. Jude 13th February 2012 / 11:00 am

I&#39;ve been having similar problems, and can recommend &#39;Housework Blues&#39; by Danielle Raine. It&#39;s not a book about how to do housework or organising, more about how to live with it psychologically, offering various different approaches on a Pick and Mix basis. The subtitle of the book is &#39;How to cope with the mental and emotional challenge of keeping a home&#39;. I found it quite

3. Alex Walsh 13th February 2012 / 11:40 am

when the kids are in bed tonight lets go round with a bin bag. Anything that we can&#39;t justify using in the next 2 months can go in it.

4. Aussie Mum 13th February 2012 / 11:46 am

I know exactly how you feel. Our house is overrun with stuff. I have purged lots of my own stuff in the past 12 months but have a hard time convincing anyone else. Luckily we are now at a stage where I have been able to donate a pile of baby toys and bits but with three children spread over almost five years I have three sets of toys, clothes etc to suit their different ages and stages. Perhaps

5. Fiz 13th February 2012 / 12:56 pm

Is there anybody who could could pay for a cleaner for you for for a few weeks? I found and fine this distressing as well.

6. Fiz 13th February 2012 / 12:58 pm

I think a number of toys your kids no longer play with would be appreciated by doctors, dentists and hospital waiting rooms!

7. Anonymous 15th February 2012 / 11:15 pm

I know exactly how you feel! I feel like I spend my life following my two around picking up after them. The constant mess really stresses me out and I often think &#39;why do I bother it&#39;s only going to get trashed again after I tidy it&#39;. I sympathise with you x