I once had a discussion with Dan, half of Lee and Dan from the now Dan-less Midnight Movie Club podcast about what was the best film of the 80’s. There are plenty of classics to chose from, ranging from the Shining, to Full Metal Jacket, Scarface, and The Empire Strikes Back to Die Hard but we were battling it out over Ghostbusters and Gremlins. I was down on the side of Ghostbusters, Dan was firmly in favour of Gremlins. I had to acknowledge the fact that Gremlins is probably the best Christmas movie of all time but stuck with my guns over Ghostbusters because it has everything from action and scares to brilliant comedy.
Ghostbusters has been available on Blu Ray for a little while now but it’s fair to say the transfer wasn’t brilliant and Ghostbusters 2 hasn’t been available until now. It’s also fair to say that Ghostbusters 2 isn’t as awesome as the original but few sequels live up to the first (although I’ve already mentioned The Empire Strikes Back so I’ve shot myself in the foot there). Not enough ghosts is the big problem I have with the second film but the dialogue is as snappy and lets face it you can’t best the best film of the decade can you? This release has been remastered on Blu Ray from the 4K (ultra high definition) version that’s been produced to celebrate Ghostbusters 30th anniversary. If you’re really lucky, you might even be able to catch the film in the cinema over Halloween.
A few of my favourite lines would look something like this:
Dr Ray Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yes it’s true.
Dr. Peter Venkman: This man has no dick.
Dr Ray Stantz: Symmetrical book stacking. Just like the Philadelphia mass turbulence of 1947.
Dr. Peter Venkman: You’re right, no human being would stack books like this.
Dr Ray Stantz: I think we’d better split up.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Good idea.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Yeah… we can do more damage that way.
Dialogue isn’t as snappy as that now days, and it shows that most of the cast were Saturday Night Live regulars.
The boxset Blu Ray went on sale on 1 September and to celebrate this, you can win a copy of the BDs, an exclusive Ghostbusters keyring and a kids Ghostbusters outfit.
All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning is leave a comment below telling me who played Dr. Peter Venkman. The winner will be chosen at random after the closing date which is 25th September, which means you need to get a move on!
- Being a Mummy Competition closes: Midday 25th September 2014
- Open to UK residents only.
- Prize is as detailed
- There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable and no part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions
- If any item listed above is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute with an alternative item of similar value
- Winner will be selected from all valid and correct entries and notified by email or phone
- Winner’s details will be passed to a third party for prize fulfilment
- The Editor’s decision is final and binding on the entrants. No correspondence will be entered into