My cooking skills are now legendary and thanks to my Annabel Karmel book review post, I now have a few requests for the Being a Mummy household staples. Here I give you Spinach and Ricotta Pastry Parcels, the idiots way. Ideal for freezing, I use these as a finger food. However, the beauty is that you can also use them as an adults meal with vegetables or as a snack. In fact, provided you like pastry, spinach and ricotta you can do a million and one things…
1 packet of Spinach (I like to use the baby leaves)
1 packet of ready to roll puff pastry
1 oz of butter
9 oz of Ricotta (or just a packet)
1 egg (if you can be bothered to glaze the pastry- I cant so I leave this out)
- Chop up the onion.
- Wash the spinach and stuff it all into a saucepan with some water, cook it up so its a sort of sludge
- Melt the butter into a frying pan and then stick the chopped onion in and fry it.
- Roll out the pastry and cut it into the shapes you want to create- strips, parcels, animals or anything else that takes your fancy…
- Mix together the cooked onion and spinach
- Put the onion/spinach and a dollop of ricotta into your pastry and squash all the edges together to create a little parcel (or whatever)
- At this point you can either leave to cool before you freeze….
- or cook at 200 degrees for about 20 minutes but I would check after 10 just to be sure! If you smell burning you have left it too long!