For the first time in ages, I actually bought a pattern for this dress, the reason being that I find it difficult to judge the size of an armhole.I thought that if I bought a really basic simple pattern, I could adapt it lots of ways. I chose Butterick 3772. This has to be one of the worst patterns I have ever bought. It’s far too simple, meaning that it doesn’t hang very well, the armholes are too small and so it defeated the point of me buying it. It’s put me off buying Butterick patterns. However, I do love the material that Anjie gave me and I think it looks quite sweet.
I also made a matching felt lined handbag. This was really simple to do, I simply took an A4 sized sheet of felt and cut an oblong of material fractionally larger. I chopped some handles off an old cloth bag (I couldn’t be bothered to make some). I doubled over the cloth at the top of the bag so it formed a nice edge and slipped the handles between the cloth and the felt. Then I pinned them in place to they would hang properly. I then machined across the top, both sides. I machine sewed some rick-sack across the machining for a bit of detail. This resulted in a nice neat edge with the handles slipped in so they don’t catch on anything. Next, I pinned the sides of the bag together (inside out) and machined down each side. I turned the whole thing the right way around and that was it. 5 minutes tops! If I get a chance I will try to draw an illustration, but to be honest I’m sure you all know how to do it.